Monday, February 15, 2010

Learning from my Training

Well it is less than two weeks until my second marathon, Cowtown 2/27/2010. I feel confident that I can finish the marathon and hopefully have a PR when finished. My first marathon, Rock and Roll San Antonio 2008, was ran in 4 hours and 31 minutes. I was training to run a sub 4 hour marathon but was injured during the Christmas break and wasn't able to continue running until the second week in January. I missed three crucial weeks of training and three long runs. I was also not able to do any exercising during this time.

Lessons learned is that the experts that write the books and training logs are just that experts. I have to admit that I am pretty hard headed and very competitive. I hate to lose, and nobody remembers who finishes second. But during the time I was injured I had a chance to reflect on my running and why I run 6 to 7 days a week. First of all I run to keep in shape and help keep the weight off that I have lost over the last two years. It also helps with my job as a firefighter/paramedic. But the most important item was that I enjoy running and it makes me happy. I know that I will probally never win a marathon on paper, but every marathon I finish is a victory for me. I feel good about myself when I accomplish something that most people will never attempt in their lifetime. I also think about people that will never be able to run do to health problems and think about how they feel. Yes running 26.2 miles (26 miles and 385 yards) is challenging but when you cross the finish line it is rewarding. The training is worth all the time that is committed and you start thinking of what can I do next.

What will I do next: well I want to complete the Hotter - N - Hell 100 mile bike ride in August (Wichita Falls, TX), a triathlon this summer, and the Rock and Roll Marathon (San Antonio or Las Vegas). Next year I would like to train for and complete a 50K Ultramarathon (31 miles).

Yes running is addicting but I enjoy the outdoors and adrenaline that I feel when running. Some people think I am crazy or have some negative comments, knees will go bad, hip injuries, and soo on, but that comes from people who don't understand. I have battled a weight problem my entire life, but now I have confidence in myself and I am happy. I would like to think my wife Kristi and my two daughters Jessica and Katelin, for the support and understanding of my training and my addiction to something that I truelly love. I Love Yall more than anything though.

God Bless and Take Care

P.S. - If some one from Team in Training ask you for a donation please help out and support the ATHLETE. This is a great organizaion and the money goes to a great cause. Look it up on the web if you are not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment